Thursday, 9 February 2017

BOLT ACTION GAMES AND SOME FINNS

Its been a while since my last post.  Its been a shitty summer so far hasn't it !
I havent done that much sailing as its been just too darn windy with the wind often over 25knots most days, but I have been out windsurfing a lot .....  maybe a little too much truth be told as I haven't done much in the way painting any models !! .. well that's my excuse at any rate...

I had played several games of Bolt Action against my brother Andrew over the holiday period, I ran my Finnish force (still not painted hence why no photos) against my brothers German force.  With only a 2 games of Bolt Action under my belt I found the Finns quite easy to use and so far I do like them. Their trained huntsman rule and specific unit ambushing rules are very good indeed and my sniper seems to be a very good option, as does my tough fighter ability's for my infantry squads. The Mortar options however seem a waste of points to me unless their is a stationary target to range in on, my brothers Pak40 was a good test subject but even after 2 rounds of ranging in it took another further 2 turns to get it down to one man crew (I then got fed up and snipered it). My twin turreted T-26 tank option is a fun choice if its on a heavy terrain table being able to dish out 10 dice of MG fire .... Andy doesn't like it too much !

I must admit it will take several more games of Bolt Action to get the hang of it, for instance the close combat seems very deadly to me and very different to other systems, all it takes is a few horrible dice to turn a seemingly reliable option into a nightmare result.  for example my brother ran his 10 man German Veteran unit (with 2 SMG and 4 assault rifles) against my 7 man Finnish Vet's with Tough Fighters rule ....... Andy gets a total of 4 hits with myself getting 5 hits, which has made me the winner so Andy's troops all died............... lesson learnt - Andy shoots instead from then on !!!!!!!

Also knowing when units should go down and when to ambush units will hopefully come with experience (the Sissi Finnish troops have a bonus here as they can advance and the turn dice into ambush as long as they don't shoot ... so rather handy for beginners like me)But apart from some niggly rules to learn and put in practice correctly, it was a very good couple of games.


Well I have been a little busy with getting more of my Bolt Action Finns made, based and ready for painting. Those ski troops look very cool and all, but bugger me what a pain in the arse to put together ! took me ages to get through ten of them ..... and i have still got another ten to do.


The weapons teams were all rather easy to put together, but the Howitzer was a different story, quite fiddly and the bottom gun shield was missing so I had to make up one from scratch using plasticard. I made all the gun teams with log emplacements which look rather good I think, I will cover them with a dusting of snow and some tundra tuffs and they should be great with the triple colour Finnish Camo scheme they had.

All the tanks are now made, these were very easy to put together and should be fun to paint, just have to decide whether to paint them in the Finnish Camo scheme, or maybe a white wash, or perhaps leave them Soviet green ?? unsure at this stage.

But overall progress is coming along nicely .. if not a little too slowly for my brothers liking, but hopefully have these troops will see the painting table soon. I now have a dead line to have these finished by and its July, as I have been told that theirs a Bolt Action tournament being run at Panzershrek, so I will be running them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment