Friday, 21 August 2015

THE LAST KINGDOM - TV SERIES


Great news, ever since I had seen the Vikings series on History Channel (love this programme) I was hoping that this would happen ! I had watched the trailer for this earlier today and it looks fantastic.  "The Last Kingdom" which is a upcoming new TV series based on the Saxon Warlord series by Bernard Cornwall (one of my all time favourite books)

Here is a link for the viewing (sorry, unsure how to place vidoes on here directly) so click here instead and watch the trailer - so good to see a proper size shield wall in there.

I started reading these books over two years ago. It was one of the reasons why I picked to use Anglo-Saxons for my first Saga Army, I think I even did a blog post about it on here somewhere, well I have recently finished the Empty Throne book which is the 8th book in the series. The ninth is due out late next month called Warriors of the Storm, should be a great read


For those of you who dont know what I am on about, it is story that takes place in the ninth century and follows Uthred of Bebbanberg who is born to a Northumbria Lord, but as a young boy he was taken and raised by the Danes. After living with them for many years an incident happened between two rival Danish Lords that ultimately led Uthred to live with Anglo-Saxons with which he forms a bond with Alfred the Great. Uthred leads the Anglo-Saxons to many victory's, with Uthreds main goal to claim his homeland and be the Lord of Bebbanburg.

The writing style for the books is written in the style so that Uthred as an old man is telling it, for which I like, he also sympathizes with the Danes and believes in the Danish gods and beliefs which can lead to a many funny situation between Alfreds Priestly advisers and himself. Its a great read, so heres hoping for another great TV series to follow, the Programme is due out late October this year - cant wait !


1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I'm really interested to see if this is as good as the books. Hopefully some better production value than the otherwise excellent Sharpe TV series...

    ReplyDelete