Friday, 14 August 2015

FRACAS AFTER ACTION REPORT

Back from another great Flames of War tournament last Sunday being "Fracas" one day 750points Tank Only lists.  So very early Sunday morning I was pickup by John Fletcher and Warren Hart, then quickly around to my brothers house - and after waking him up !,  we set off to Wanganui via Shannon to pick up fellow wargamer Bob Pearce. After much amusing banter and discussing the amount of heavy tanks in the tournament, we arrived with moments to spare before the first round .

GAME 1
First round was a Hasty Attack mission against Aliaster Mundell who was using a Red Bear Tankovy list. Al is one of those players who is a laid back easy going player so was good to get another game against him. He chose a rather brave list choice with a mixed platoon of T-34 76mm and 85mm , with Su-85 and KV1-s tanks .  I was an auto defend and with the table fairly open I plopped down my two Volksturm on either side covering objectives and Co King Tiger and Panzer crew platoon down in the middle, with the other King Tiger in reserve.

The first few turns saw Al move the T-34 up the the right flank using cover hiding from the Tiger, but shooting up my Volksturm platoon. His Su85 tanks arrived and moved up the left with hill cover and with my Co conveniently showing his flank they manage to bail him. My other King Tiger arrived from reserve on the right and killed one T-34, but then over the next two turns the T-34 was able to skip around my flanks and kill it, meanwhile my faust infantry failed to unpin and my Co King Tiger failed to remount his tank making him an easy target for the SU-85 ..... The KV-1s managed to assualt my Volksturm but I managed to bail 2 on the way in so stopped them , but Al passed his morale. Next turn the right side saw my demise as my company broke. A good 6-1 win to Aliaster

GAME 2
It was a free for all against a Wanganui local Savvas Regus who was running a JagdTiger list with 2 JagdTigers and Tiger 1e (with re-roll misses Tiger Ace skill)
The table had a very large wood in the middle on the left side and rather open but hedge lines scattered about. I deployed my Panzer crew with CO tank and Volksturm platoon to the left and they advanced up in the woods, with my Co tank quickly bogging down ! (so over this overloaded lark) my Tiger on the right moved up the center while the other Volksturm moved up while taking a few causalities on the way. My infantry were in position so I moved my CO KTiger out of the woods and bailed his Tiger 1 , I also moved my infantry in to assualt, but failed their tank terror. Next turn Savvas bailed my CO and without his vital reroll the infantry kept failing their tank terror for another 2 turns, I eventually passed and killed both his Tiger 1 and Co JagdTiger tank and then bailed the other with fausts.
So a 6-1 win to me.

GAME 3
A Cauldron mission against Kim Stiles - I think he was a local
Kim was running a Stug Co with 3 Stugs, 2 Panthers and some German Infantry. The table had two forests in the middle so I plonked my Volksturm in them protecting the objectives.
and then my KingTiger in a wood also.  My Co had only room to be placed on the edge of the wood. First turn my King Tiger (after got bogged down moving in the wood) got killed by Kim's Panther platoon in the flank .. LOL.
Then his Stugs moved in from the other flank from reserve and bailed my other Tiger. My Volksturm got assualted by his Grenadiers and they actually won a combat killing 4 of them and the rest running away, Kim then moves his CO Stug into assault, I killed it in defensive fire !! From their Kim whittled down my infantry to force a company break.
So was a good 5-2 win to Kim

GAME 4
Free for All against good mate John Fletcher who was running a near identical army to mine but had 2 Panzer IV in the list instead of my Panzer crew platoon
John has already done a after action report on the game on his blog site, so click here to see. He has got some photos of the game as well... I will one day think to bring a camera to these tournaments ... :-)
This was a fun game with every element bar one of Johns LMG teams and 4 of my Volksturm stands getting up and moving at some stage of the game - good example of pushing the game for a win instead of some the stalemate draws you see so often in a free for all. The result was a 5-2 to John

GAME 5
It was a Hasty Attack against another Wanganui local Peter Thompson who was running a
US Sherman list with some Easy Eights and 2 Jumbo's thrown in there.

This game was played in heavily built up town with rows of houses so very much suited my defense. I went on to win the game mostly due to the buildings but I did loose my King Tiger in the flank and almost lost CO Tiger as well being bailed out. The result was a 5-2 win to me. Those Jumbos are a pain in the bum aren't they ! - was the first time I have played against them and found them to be very effective at taking hits.

This game was sort of a mini tutoring game on my part as I had helped Peter through some of the steps, mainly that his Sherman tanks could shoot both his main gun at full ROF and with his Hull MG and Co-ax MG and also his 0.50cal MG making up 5 dice a tank at my infantry in a building he quickly found out they are very good at shooting RC infantry, I also give him some tips about combat and to avoid the 4" building zone with Panzerfaust infantry in them as they will have a field day with that situation - needless to say he was very grateful.


So how did I like taking this army I choose , nah not my cup of tea to be honest, the Volksturm were great to plop down on the table with half on and half off missions but apart from that they were rubbish !!! being Reluctant Conscript and also having the Company commander in a King Tiger tank (which had a habit of being out of range for the important re-rolls needed) Once they were pinned down they stayed that way, and tank terror - forget it.   I would take them in a infantry force with a bigger point limit - perfect for LW doubles !!
I didnt think too highly of the King Tigers either. maybe Russians next year at 750 points

Right down to the results then :
Andrew Karl 26pts
Brian Trott 25pts
Bob Pearce 25pts
Rob Shirley 21pts
Warren Hart 21pts
David Hobbs 20pts
John Fletcher 19pts
Stuart Mosen 19pts
Mark Anderson 18pts
Carl Muskee 17pts
Mark Stanton 16pts
Kim Styles 16pts
Derek Forrester 15pts
Savvas Regus 15pts
Julian Harkness 15pts
Andrew Stanton 15pts
Julian Emmett 15pts
Peter Thompson 13pts
Alastair Mundell 10pts 


So in about middle which I am happy with. Brother Andy had a more of a hard time using his Cromwell list and he also copt a bye round as well, which I think was a tad stink for a travelling player to have to do, but overall a great little tournament 

Hopefully next year they somehow limit the amount of heavy tanks, maybe only one top armour 2 in the list, or better still have a mechanised only list at 750 points, now that would be a great laugh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment