Tuesday, 9 June 2015

NICON - SAGA TOURNAMENT GAME REPORT - DAY ONE

Last weekend was Queens Birthday long weekend and is traditionally when Nicon (NZ North Island champs) are held and this year it was held in small town of Thames up in the Coromandel area. I played in the Saga tournament using my Anglo-Danish force.
I must say it was one of the most fun little tournaments I have been too for a long time now - with much banter and hilarity to be had during and between games.

I headed up from the Hutt Valley with my brother Andrew and mate John Fletcher, was a good road trip up in the wee hours of Saturday morning even if it was through a thick fog and a bitterly cold desert road when the cars temperature was on zero - so no heater working!  arrived on time and rearing to get started

Alas we only had 6 players for the tournament turn-up as we had some players pulled out last minute but we made do and changed the format to suit so that we ended up playing a round robin of sorts with 4 games on day one and 3 games on day two , with the last game of each day being a 3 player game the first with 6 points and the second with 4 points.

For my army list see link here ... CLICK  Take note I removed one unit of Hearthguard so I could pick up one point of Warriors - thought it was better to beef up and have large units of Warriors instead of a 8 man HG unit - we shall see if this tactic pans out or not.

You might notice a lack of photos as I keep forgetting to bring a camera to these events and the odd one you do see was a borrowed photo shot from johns camera and as I played John in 3 games its all good for those games (thanks John)

GAME 1 - funny enough we randomly did the game draw and I ended up playing my brother ! Now traditionally when ever I play Andy in a tournament setting its either a draw or a very close win to Andy - would this be an exception perhaps ?  He was using his Strathclyde force so was all mounted with one unit of 8 HG and 3 Warrior units with also 3 small units of 4 warriors off table ...
We played the the Clash of Warlords Mission . Early on I had the upper hand as I plonked down multiple fatigue markers on his units using my Trapped skill, all the while moving into the center of the table to get away from his harassment skill. Andrew hit home with his HG unit into my big unit of 12 warriors using his Doomriders skill and the one where he lowers his armour save and any hits above my armour is doubled .. yikes !!! - he managed to wipe them out. With a big chunk missing from my army I charged back and killed the HG unit. From there the game quickly become a blood bath on both sides and with my Intimidate skill being used a lot. Needless to say it was another great game resulting in a DRAW with both on same points at end.

Some photos I took before the event of Andys force - note he still has to complete the shields - but looking very good ..... aawww bless em .. all on little wee ponies !

His Warlord - cool pose !
His 6 point army - with HG in middle - note the 3 small 4 man units
at rear these are off table, force is still rather big with them off!! 
Heathguard unit - all sporting a red cloak - its the in fashion these days didn't you know!

GAME 2 -  Was against John Fletcher in a Challenge mission, Now this was going to be hard going as I had taken the useful but oh so very crappy in combat Spiritual Advisor Warlord upgrade (or is that a downgrade in this mission perhaps). The Advisor only has 1 attack and has armour 4 .... We were using the new rules for challenge where upon only the warlord can charge the enemy Warlord unless your Warlord has less wounds taken than the enemy's - well that's not going to be too difficult is it! I can see the Viking Warlord giving me some serious number of wounds in the first turn so at least it makes him the only figure that will charge my Warlord where as, at least I can charge Johns with everything.
Well first turn went to John, and surprisingly he made a big dent in my warlords wound total and I wisely decided to retreat towards a building. Thankgod for my intimidate skill cancelling the warlords other action.

My warlord disengages towards the building
Next few turns saw my Advisor get a few more hits but managed to retreat into the building. My HG unit charged his warlord but he was able to save some, and transfer wounds to his warriors nearby. My ability to place fatigue was taking its toll on Johns unit and his warriors quickly become exhausted - so my monks charged in only to have both units wiping out each other after multiple rounds of melee (crappy monks)

Some warriors are very tired, now its time for my Monks charge in to finish the job
Knock Knock !!  -  Go way !
Johns Warlord charged the building, scoring some more hits on mine but my Warriors where now getting into some good positions to pounce on the leading Viking, but I didn't have too many left, and time was running out. At the end I scored only one wound to Johns 9 wounds so a good win to John there.

GAME 3 - Was against Wayne Turner with his Viking force (very similar to Johns I think but with one more HG unit perhaps). The mission was the Battle at the Ford. I like this mission so was hoping to do well in it. I have played Wayne in FOW now and again and really nice fellow to play so was going to be a good game.
I setup the Monks, Advisior and two unit of 10 warriors on left side and one unit of 12 Warriors and HG on the right side. Wayne did what I expected and setup most of his force on my right and some Warrior units with Berserkers on my left.
My units on right side moved up and into the ford while on the left I blocked the river with big unit of Warriors with Unforgiving and Lords of battle skills up ready for Waynes charge - he charges in with Warlord and big HG unit and after 2 rounds of melee, my unit is somewhat diminished but Waynes now has a lot of Fatigue while taking the ford..
The right side heats up after I charge into some warriors then into his Berserkers and gets me across the ford. Meanwhile on the left Wayne kills the remaining warriors and eyes up the my HG and charges into them killing them as well but in return makes them exhausted so I quickly play my Exhaustion skill and remove two of his HG leaving unit with only 1 man left. I chase down the few survivors on my right and occupy that side, while Wayne does the same on his side. The following turn it ends and I have a few points clear of Wayne so win goes to me. YAY for that exhaustion skill !!

GAME 4 - was a 3 player Feast of Crows mission with the additional rule of placing the third player in the middle so creating a equilateral triangle starting positions. I was playing against John (with his Vikings) and Alan (with Norse Gaels) . First time I had played against the Norse in a long while so should be interesting.
The idea of this mission is to have the most kill points at the end - so get into combat early and start killing !!! sounds easy enough !  -  also for this game we all do the orders phase together then dice off to see who starts first


I started in the upper left of this photo, with Alan in the middle right and John being lower left
the first few turns nothing much happened, with the exception of myself placing ample amounts of fatigue on enemy units with me Trapped skill.
Turn 3 and 4 was when the real action started, with lots of melee happening, I charged Alans warriors and found that when they are exhausted they can not issue challenges - YAY. I also charge into some of Johns Viking warriors, in return John charges into mine but comes worse off. I also use Exhaustion skill to gain some more points using them on Alans over tired troops.

I went on to win this game as my spiritual Advisor proved very useful in allowing me to get double rare dice for trapped skill, and my Noble Linage allowed me to another Rare for the Lords of Battle skill I rely on so much.

I think I was on 24 points where as Alan and John were on 16 points each - so was a solid good win to me.  -  with the exception of the challenge mission (for which I was doomed in) I am loving the Spiritual Advisor Warlord option.

Well that wraps up the first days action , we went back to the hotel with some takeaway dinner and a game of Ticket to Ride, then with the 3 of us all falling to sleep in front of the TV we went to bed at 9pm ...... been up since 12 am though !
More to come on day 2 soon.




4 comments:

  1. Yea a very long day indeed great write ups

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers John, yep getting up at 12am to have a 7 hour drive and then play 4 games of Saga ... one day I will tell myself that I am to old for this .... one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write up Mark - shame there only 6 of you, what were numbers for NICon like overall?
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom, numbers were quite low, only 6-8 DBM, 6 with Napoleonic and a one day Malifax tournament with about 6 players - there was no 40K, Fantasy and even FOW was a non event with only one registered. I guess it was the location and no Aucklanders traveling.
      We had fun though so thats all that matters.

      Delete