Thursday, 7 November 2013

SAGA MODEL UPDATE ... AND VIKING BOOKS

SAGA MODEL's

I received my Anglo-Saxon army with Andrew's Pagan Rus army in the post a couple of weeks ago. Have to say the models look great and am looking forward to painting them up. Andrews Pagan Rus with their rectangular shields and the Steppe bow armed horsemen are fantastic models too. These will be the first 28mm models I have begun so will be interesting for me. I have done Warhammer models but never done that many human figures per-say.

So I have been busy cleaning off the sprue lines and making them up with spears and what not. Based them up with poly filler and all are spay painted black ready for some painting attention.

My army just un-packed out of the box.

Anglo-Saxon Army ready for painting!



My Anglo-Saxon army I had decided for in the end was rather on the large scale, as I invested in a Warlord, a unit of Hearthguard, 3 units of Warriors and 3 units of Levies, all of which are armed with spears and shields. You have no doubt spotted this is in fact 7 points but I thought the extra point of models will offer some change to the army to mix things up.

Andrews Pagan Rus army has his Warlord, 2 unit's of Hearthguard, 3 units of Warriors and 1 unit of Levies with Javelins, he also got a unit of Steppe horsemen as well.

Andy's Pagan-Rus army
Andy has all ready painted up one of horsemen, still has to apply a
final highlight to face and other areas and to flock up the base ... but looking good so far.

So hope to get the first unit of warriors all finished within a couple of weeks and a practice game in as well.
Will no doubt have to make some terrain for this as well, as our flames of war is slightly off scale.


Also, I have just started reading the Warrior Chronicle series from Bernard Cornwall with the first book of five being "The Last Kingdom" which is all about the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings era.  Andrew has read them all and with picking the Anglo-Saxon force for Saga, he has recommended me to start, and I have to say I have enjoyed the book and now know more about the army I have picked.


The Last Kingdom, like most of Bernard Cornwell's books, is firmly based on true history. It tells the tale of "Uhtred who is an English boy, born into the aristocracy of ninth-century Northumbria. Orphaned at ten, he is captured and adopted by a Dane and taught the Viking ways. Yet Uhtred's fate is indissolubly bound up with Alfred, King of Wessex, who rules over the only English kingdom to survive the Danish assault. The book outlines Alfred the Great and his descendants and of the enemies they faced, Viking warriors like Ivar the Boneless and his feared brother, Ubba".  Its a great read and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series titled "The Pale Horseman"

1 comment:

  1. look forward to seeing some paint on those Anglo-Saxons
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete